Monday, June 18, 2012

A day in the mountains!

So after the Rockies game, the sun and the beer made us so tired that we decided to stay in that night. But the next day, Kelsey suggested that we visit the Denver Greek Festival. Greek food? Yes please. It was a little rainy that day but the gyros and saginaki seemed more important to us than getting rained on. Decently priced, I got 20 coins for $20 and had a lamb sandwich, pastitsio (layered meat and pasta dish with nutmeg and cinnamon), dolmadakia (grape leaves filled with meat and rice with a lemon sauce), galaktoboureko (a custard dessert layered with phyllo dough), and loukoumades (fried doughnuts). Here's a picture of the adorable children performing traditional Greek dances. 


After the Greek Fest it was time to head into the Rocky Mountains! I had visited the mountains several times before when I was younger to visit my aunt and her family. She lived in Keystone but we were going to Silverthorne which wasn't too far from there. Anyways, back to driving into the mountains. Seriously, one of my favorite things to do. Every piece of scenery just seems unreal to me. I love the way the sun and the clouds shadow and brighten the different curves and angles. I love the pine trees against the rocky cliffs. The small rivers and creeks that twist and turn in the valleys. The wildlife. You don't forget those views. 


The condo we were staying in was right next to a mountain I remembered from when I was younger called Buffalo Mountain. 

For our morning of hiking, we might have chosen a bit of an easier path, (we passed a lot of toddlers) but it was still beautiful none the less. And of course I'm out of shape so it still felt sort of challenging. Did I mention I was hungover? Oh, just look at the views.

 These aspen trees were probably my favorite things to look at on the trail. They were so tall and the way that they were colored almost white made them appear to be painted into the green scenery. All along the trail the trees had been scarred from people who carved initials and figures into the bark. Here I am below standing in the middle of an aspen tree archway. Seriously I have never been so impressed by trees, lol.
After thirty minutes into hiking, you eventually reach what is called Lily-pad Lake. It looks pretty much as good as it sounds. I was pretty proud of the picture I snapped of it below. The way that the clouds are seen reflected perfectly in the water against the green and yellow lily-pads floating peacefully on the lake-heaven!

Not a whole lot of talking on this hike. 




1 comment:

  1. Your doing a good job it fun to read your stuff keep it up.

    ReplyDelete