Thursday, July 19, 2012

One Last Hurrah

Alright so today I started throwing all my crap away so I can pack up and move out of Iowa City after 5 long years so today I thought I'd do a post recapping the last couple of days before the move on Saturday.



First, I'm soooo sad I'm moving in with my mom because I really just want my own place that I can decorate and organize the way I want. Every time I go to antique stores/ thrift shops I get annoyed because I can't buy anything! I saw all of these cool antique mirrors that I wanted to hang up collage style to accent my living room, but I don't have a living room....so...no. But, a couple posts back I went to that store in Kalona and mentioned I had bought something. It was a blue torn up shelf for 10 bucks. Before I started packing I arranged some knick-knacks on it to see how it would look. Old books, antique blocks, GE clock, trading cards....kinda cute. Looks a little too neat though. Eh?



Second, I have spent the past 2 weekends in the Chicago area trying to get a job. Got the job and I start Monday. (!) In the mean time, I still had to have some fun while I was there. I stayed for most of the weekend with my friend Julia in Evanston. On Friday, Kuma's Corner was a must for a rainy day. Got the mac n' cheese with da bacon. For some reason, I thought I also needed a burger. Most certainly did not, but ordered one anyway called the King Bong. It was topped with garlic pork, mustard braised onions, white cheddar, and deep fried prosciutto. I could only eat a fourth of the food we ordered but eating it over the next day and a half was satisfying enough. 





On Saturday, we had both purchased tickets to go to the Pitchfork Music Festival in Union Park. We headed there around 3:00 to catch Cults play only to head into at least a 20 minute down pour. I can assure you I was pretty sour, but eventually I dried off and Cults played. Cults was...ehhhh. They started off with one of their better songs, "Abducted" which was a mistake because Madeline's voice was not warmed up yet. And then their transitions were kind of bad, her mic went out for like 2 whole songs, and Brian's voice sounded like Fred Armisen. But it's nice to say I've seen them live. After Cults I immediately headed to the beer tent where my only option was to choke down $5 Heinekens. Beer is better than no beer, but c'mon, we all know tall boys is where it's at. We caught most of Flying Lotus and then stayed by that stage for the Sleigh Bells show that was scheduled next to play. I had seen Sleigh Bells earlier here in Iowa City a few months ago so I was excited to see them again. Just a few feet away from the stage, the energy from this show was unforgettable. Easily one of my favorites, mostly due to the fact that Alexis is a genuine badass who knows how to lead a set in a mean leather jacket. Crowd surfing, mosh pits, water bottles, mud, and sweat. Exhausted from that show, we caught most of Hot Chip probably sitting in a pile of mud while watching funny looking white people dance. Moving onto the Blue stage where Grimes was set to play, the crowd had already moved in and I was stuck behind a tree. Then I was stuck behind someone taller than me. I mean, I could still hear and have to admit, I was blown away with how well Claire sounded live. Backed by Blood Diamonds and 2 backup dancers, an overall decent show that was interrupted by a mixture of high pitched grunts and good vocals. We had planned on trying to get into a Father John Misty show afterwards but honestly we were beat and didn't make. 

The next day however was spent drinking bud light on the beach in Evanston. 

No comments:

Post a Comment